Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Q is for Quilts, Queens, and Quick Things

My Grandmother's Quilt
 
Back in the days when I was young
And loved to play in bed
My Granddad called the spread a counterpane
We said bedspread instead.
But we never asked for blankets
When we snuggled up at night
We wanted Grandma’s quilts
When we turned out the lights.
From friendship quilt to crazy quilt
To tulip, flying geese or lone star
Her quilts were wonderful
The best kind of warmth by far.
Thena

Baby Quilts

Every baby needs a quilt
To warm them when they're cold.
They will love and cuddle it when they're toddlers
And treasure it when they're old.
Thena

Grandmother and Her Quilts
 
Grandmother would take scraps of fabric
And turn them into a work of art
Family heirlooms would flow from her hands
As treasured works of heart!
 
She could take thread and thimble
And with her talents from above
She made masterpieces of these things
That showered her family with love!
 
 Her  quilts do more than keep you warm
For when  made by someone you love.
In every stitch there is part
Of a warmth that goes clear to the heart.
 
Grandmom's quilts are more than just  blankets
They are  more than just pretty  spreads
Her quilt's designs formed in her loving heart
Rather than in her head.
 
A quilt when given to those you love
Is a never ceasing bond
Which warms the heart, the body. the soul
For generations long!
 
Thena Smith

My Favorite Quilt
(Double Wedding Ring)

My special quilt is on my bed;
My favorite spot to lay my head
The place where I feel such peace to sleep
And find my rest while counting sheep.

The quilt was created long ago
By my grandmother whom I loved so
And who put a prayer in every thread
Of this cover she created for my bed.

The quilt was called the wedding ring
And as she quilted she used to sing
And tell me that some fine day
A handsome man would come my way.

She gave the quilt to me and said
Take care of this until you wed
Treat it gently and it will last
Far after our lives have passed.

And some day your child
Will fall in love and wed
And want this quilt
For her bridal bed.
Thena

Treasure in the Attic

I went on a treasure hunt
In our old farmhouse one day
It was raining and cold outside
And the children wanted to play.

We pulled out Great Gramma’s trunk
That had been unnoticed for many years
As it stood beside the closet door
Lost, it seemed,but still so near.

We opened up the trunk and gasped
And we found treasures there untold
Lovely masterpieces of needlework
Almost more than the trunk could hold.

How long had I forgotten them
And left this treasure there
Thoughts of the loss of such history
Was almost more than I could bear.

I took each one out and caressed it
And resolved to show the proper care,
Bestow upon it the proper honor and respect
And vowed its beauty I would share.

Thena

No comments: