Tuesday, October 28, 2008

M is for Memorial Poems and Memory

In Loving Tribute

I write this as a tribute
Of the love and joy you brought me
A testimony of all the wonderful things
That being your sister and sister in law taught me.

I write this in memory
Of the things you loved to do
And to somehow document
The unique and wonderful you!

You both loved the feeling
Of freedom and the outdoor life
You were so perfectly suited
To be happily husband and wife.

I could never imagine life without you
And could never forsee a day
When untold tragedy would come
And so suddenly take you away.

Sometimes life still overwhelms me
And I feel that I can't bear it
Always before when sadness struck
You were the ones with whom I'd share it.

So, here I sit with my memories
And though my heart feels almost unbearable pain
The thing that keeps me going
Is that one day we shall meet again.

If you are allowed to look at us
And see how we are doing without you
Please know that not a day goes by
That I don't think about you.

And though it hurts so awfully bad
That our time together here is through
I thank God every day for
Each moment I had with you!

Thena

Poem for Lost Loved One

Father in Heaven up above
Look down upon this child you love
And give her the strength and courage too
That can only come from you.

Help her to accept what is your will
And seek it with all her heart
Knowing that from those we love
Sometimes we have to part.

But let her rejoice in knowing
That soon again she'll be
Reunited with her loved one
But for all eternity!

And until that time we ask of You
That you will hold her hand
Lift her Lord when she is weary
And help her Lord to stand!

We ask these things in Jesus name
And trust that you always hear
For you have told us that you do
And that you are always near.

So Father in Your hands
I place my lovely friend
Trusting you to help her through
In Jesus name
Amen
Thena

A Memorial

We hold a memorial service today
For our loved one whom God called away
We try hard not to mourn and grieve
For that she is better off, we truly believe,

Although we know she would not want sadness,
We cannot help but shed tears now and again
For the emptiness left by the loss
of mother, sister, daughter and friend.

A good neighbor in the community and loved by all who knew her
One who loved to have a bit of exuberant laughter and fun
She was one who always was conscientious to make sure
That first the work allotted to her was done.

Each person who knew and loved her would say
That being in her presence made their day
And even the beloved family pet
His sweet mistress will never ever forget.

We think of her home filled with photos and little gifts from family
All around her as she loved for them to be,
As well as mementoes of her and (hubby's) holidays together
Little blessings the she kept forever.

She was among these little treasures in her beloved home
Surrounded by the memories and people that she loved
When the Father sent His angel there
To beckon her to come to His home above.

Father, God, In Heaven above
I thank you that we had this one to love
And if a message could be sent, Lord, just one
Please give her my love, and tell her it's from her son.

Thena

''Springtime in Heaven''

Our Gertrude has made her journey home
And left us here to reminisce
About all of the sweet memories of her
And speak of those things that we shall miss.

She fills such a special place in our hearts
And we loved her more than words can say
Such precious memories rest in our hearts
And it will never go away.

But as much as we love her
And difficult as this may seem
We know that Heaven must be lovely
Especially in the Spring.

We know that God looks down on us
And sees our hurting hearts today
But our Gertrude is a lovely flower
In His Heavenly bouquet.

We know that if Gertrude can see us now
She is smiling at us in her sweet way
And would have us to remember her with love
But not weep that she has gone away.

She would have us feel the breeze
That lingers on our face
And think of it as a gentle kiss
And to remember her embrace.

The Springtime she would have us enjoy
And not cling to grief and sadness
For she had a wonderful life
And lived each day with gladness.

So join with us today in reliving
Those most precious of memories
And rejoice with us in the life we celebrate
And we're sure Gertrude will be pleased.
Thena

The Unknowns

Thank you to those who rest here
Whose sacrifices we don't even know
Those who fell in tropical heat
Or in the freezing snow.

Thank you to those whose lives
Meant others of us could live
Who made the ultimate sacrifice
And gave all they had to give.

Let us never forget these heroes
Whose feet this earth once trod
But whose names and heroic deeds
Are known now but to our God.

Thena

Loss of Friend

I sit and look through the pages
On which your photos are a part
And I still feel that aching emptiness
That awful hurting in my heart.

I think of all the times we're missing
Of all the good things life had in store
And as I sit I can still hear your laughter
Which makes me miss you all the more.

If ony we had not had to let you go
And could have held your hand for yet a little while
If only for a few years longer
You could have been best friend for my child.

I see in his eyes how much he misses you
And I know that as I hurt he hurts too
For you were his little toddler buddy
Loving fiercely as only little ones can do!


I wish that somehow I could thank you
For all the sweet joy and fun
You brought into our household
As you laughed and played with our son.

With a gentle sigh I close the album
And resolve to enjoy each sweet memory
With a thankful heart that we knew you
And remember just how special you still
are to our family.

Thena

God Knows

God knows your worries
And your concerns and fears
He knows your every heartache
And feels all of your tears.
He is the one who gave you life
And who wants you to succeed
The one who answers your prayers
And fulfills your every need.
He will be there with you
When the waters run so deep
Will keep watch through the longest night
So that you may safely sleep.
So trust in Him to see you through
And rest your weary heart
For God loves you very much
As has loved you from the start.
Thena

Your Life Goes On...

I want to make a record of your life
Which was a life all too brieftly spent
But it seems that in God's plan
'Twas for Heaven you were meant.

He knew the time that you would have here
And perhaps that is why we loved you so
Never taking for granted
The precious time we had you here below.

Your life goes on
But just on a different plane
And I know for certain
That I shall see you again.

Thena

A Father's Miscarriage

You may not think I hurt
Or feel the loss the way I do
Because as men sometimes
We don't let our tears flow through.

But I marked the date on my heart
In a marker that cannot be erased
And then suddenly
The loss of our expected child I faced.

I had pictured in my mind
How this little one would look
How we would go for walks
And I would read him story books.

But that was not to be
And my heart is wracked with pain
Although some would reassure me
That I will have the chance for fatherhood again.

But as the day approaches
I feel just as passionate about this little one
As I did right from the start
Because their name is there still...
............forever written on my heart.

Thena Smith
When I watch the sunrise (loss of son)

When I watch the sunrise
I am reminded of your birth
And the joy you brought me
In the time you had on earth.

I hope you know I loved you
Through good times and through bad
I loved you when you were good
And just dearly when you were bad.

I know,my son,that sometimes
We saw things a bit differently
But no matter what the situation
You were a special treasure to me.

Now I watch for the sunsets
And wonder if on Heaven's distant shore
You might be looking down at me
And I love you all the more.

I thank God for the sunrise
And for You, His gift to me
And though your earthly time was short
Thank God, we shall have eternity!

Thena

No comments: