Tuesday, October 28, 2008

C is for Comfort toys and blankies, etc.

Good Friends (Blanket)

It was made from special fabric
That I picked out myself
Never was it idle
Or placed upon a shelf.

When I was young it was to snuggle under
To keep me nice and warm
Or to hide my face if I was afraid
To keep me safe from harm.

Over the years it grew rather thin
And tattered and forlorn.
Of all its backing and stuffing
The blanket has been shorn.

But like a little tree with twigs plucked here and there
The offspring I call "twirlies" and take them everywhere.
They are like little bits of friendship and safety
Made of little wisps of air.

They bring reminders of my grandmom
And the special blanket she created just for me
And they are little bits of home and comfort
That I can hold and see.

I can tuck them in my gym socks
Or hide them in my shoes
And the very gentle touch of them
Can chase away the blues.

I don't want a lucky penny
And a rabbit's foot, I just can't see!
But I like to keep my twirlies
For they very special to me!

Thena

No comments: